Giving back to the community has been core to Delta’s culture for more than 90 years. Delta is committed to being a strong partner and giving back to the communities where we live, work and serve, contributing 1 percent of net income to charitable organizations each year. For 2019 that amount will total over $55 million in charitable contributions and over 800,000 volunteer hours from Delta people.
The Great Delta Give-Back was announced on Profit Sharing Day and launched April 1, 2019, to further strengthen Delta’s commitment to giving back to the community by providing a paid day of service for every employee for a day of service in their community.
Whether building homes for Habitat for Humanity, donating blood at an American Red Cross blood drive, constructing playgrounds with KaBOOM!, building bikes for Marine Toys for Tots or hosting students through Junior Achievement, Delta employees were committed to giving back to the community in 2019. The video above illustrates how Delta people were involved in the communities where they live, work and serve.
2019 in the community — By the Numbers:
- Employees and customers donated 13,064 pints of blood to the American Red Cross, making Delta the No.1 corporate blood donor in the U.S. for the second year in a row. Delta supports 6 Red Cross agencies around the globe.
- More than 1,000 employees volunteered with Habitat for Humanity to build 9 homes, including six homes in Brazil, for those in need of housing bringing the total homes Delta has built with Habitat to 273 in 13 countries.
- Over 500 Delta volunteers helped build 4 playgrounds with KaBOOM! this year bringing the total playgrounds Delta has built to 30 in 14 cities
- Delta supports 30 Junior Achievement chapters on 4 continents with career readiness/financial literacy training and airport job shadows
- 250 Delta employees serve as Reading Buddies and tutors at 2 Atlanta Public Schools helping to teach kids to read and improve literacy scores.
- Over 100,000 smoke alarms were installed in homes across the U.S., thanks to Delta’s support of the American Red Cross Sound the Alarm. Save a Life program. Delta employees volunteered in 10 cities
- Delta contributed $725,000 and employees built 1,175 bikes for Marine Toys for Tots
- Delta supports Folds of Honor with 75 educational scholarships annually for the children and spouses of fallen and disabled military service members.
- Thousands of Delta people walked in 10 Pride events around the world to celebrate diversity.
- Delta supports 12 USO chapters and 3 Airport military centers to provide a place for active duty and veterans to rest and relax while traveling.
- Employees raised $6.6 million for American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Breast Cancer Research Foundation and United Way.
Delta employees have pinned over 11,000 volunteer events through The Great Delta Give-Back since the program launched in April.